Site: Abbott Clough
Location: Blackburn Road, Intack, Oswaldtwistle
Grid Reference: SD 7111 2820
Nearest Postcode: BB1 3NJ
Size of site: 1.98 hectares
Initial Planting Year: 1979 Age: 43 years
The woodland forms the eastern side of a small river clough on the northern side of Blackburn Road (opposite Wynsors Shoes). Originally planted with broadleaf species by Lancashire County Council in 1979 following reclamation of adjoining derelict paintworks.
The site is squeezed between a major industrial development site to the east and a housing estate to the west. To the south the woodland has a main road frontage.
Get there by bus: Services 6, 6a, 7, 7a & 59
Species of trees recorded on site: alder, apple, ash, beech, birch, elder, field maple, hazel, hawthorn, Norway maple, oak, Swedish whitebeam, sycamore & willow
Species of plants recorded on site: bluebells, bramble, broad buckler fern, broad leaf dock, bryophytes, buttercups (creeping & meadow), cleavers, cow parsley, dandelion, Hart's tongue, herb robert, hogweed, Himalayan balsam, ivy, Male-fern, nettle, soft shield fern, Welsh poppy, willow herb, wood avens
Grasses: Yorkshire-Fog, bent, rough meadow
Species of bird observed on site: blue tits, great tits, blackbirds
ABBOTT CLOUGH – HERITAGE BACKGROUND
The site was originally acquired by LCC from a private individual and adjoins an older industrial site, now under re-development.
The A679 fronting the site was formerly a Turnpike road opened in 1838. There are records of a toll house for collecting tolls from users of the turnpike at Abbott Clough. Turnpikes were created to provide rapid and efficient transportation of goods and passengers between one major industrial hub and another, in this case Accrington and Blackburn. They were operated by local Trustees who were given powers to levy tolls on users for a specific stretch of road. Monies collected were then used to improve and maintain the roads.
On the adjoining industrial land a brewery was built in 1900 by the Fountain Free Brewery Co Ltd, founded in 1849. The brewery was later acquired by Thwaites Brewery in 1927 and closed shortly afterwards. The building was then taken over by Redcap Paints. Redcap platers also occupied part of the industrial area.
The name “Redcap”, commonly used by other businesses in the area derives from “Old Mother Redcap”, the name referring to an ale wife who brewed beer in beer houses, obviously distinguished by the wearing of a red cap. The Old Mother Redcap, the original brewhouse owned by Fountain Free Brewery Co Ltd stands nearby, next to the East side of the Industrial Estate.
Timber Volume and Tree Number Report