Site: Rushton House Farm
Location: Adjacent to Fielding Lane / Broadfield, Oswaldtwistle
Grid Reference: SD 7492 2655
Nearest Postcode: BB5 3RY
Size of site: 1.83 hectares
Initial Planting Year: 1965 Age: 55 years
The woodland sits on the site of a disused pottery clay workings and was planted in 1965. There is a mixture of tree species (lodgepole pine and broadleaf) on an undulating terrain from previous workings. There's a lot of holly regeneration but the site also suffers from Himalayan Balsam along the roadside boundary and some small stands of Japanese Knotweed. Both are being managed to eradicate them
The woodland has a long (250 metres) road frontage and the rear boundary is farmland. There are two ponds on the site, one silted up and the other actively fished by a local angling group.
There is a short stretch of footpath along the southern boundary. Overall, an undisturbed woodland with potential for habitat protection and development and increased diversification of tree species.
How to get there by public transport:
The site is a 0.8 mile South Easterly walk from Rhyddings Park, Oswaldtwistle.
Species of Trees and Shrubs on site: Alder, Ash, Blackthorn, Elder, Gorse, Hawthorn, Holly, (Lodgepole) Pine, Sycamore, Norway Maple, Wild Cherry, Wych Elm, Dog Rose, Horse Chestnut
Species of Plants on site: Creeping Soft-grass, Yorkshire-fog, Bramble and Wavy Hair-grass. Sweet Vernal-grass, Broad Buckler-fern, Cock’s-foot, Common Sorrel, Himalayan Balsam, Broadleaf Willowherb, Rosebay Willowherb, Foxglove, Bilberry, Japanese Knotweed
Species of Birds observed on site: blackbird, robin, wren
RUSHTON HOUSE FARM – HERITAGE BACKGROUND
Local Area History
Pothouse Lane running close to the woodland relates to local industry as the area of Broadfield has a long association with clay potteries. A pottery and brick kiln were first documented here in 1774. During the enclosure of Oswaldtwistle Moor in this year, 15 acres of pot clay were reserved to the Lord of the Manor.
The local Riley and Duckworth families were instrumental in establishing the pottery industry in the local area. Holding Brothers pottery was founded in 1842 by James Holding at Gaulkthorn. In 1860 James moved the business to Broadfield. In 1900 his son Grimshaw moved it to the hillside above Oswaldtwistle where there was an abundance of clay. Grimshaw lived at nearby Broadfield House which still survives, as does Broadfield Terrace, a row of 5 cottages built by Grimshaw for each of his 5 sons.
Broadfield pottery was recorded in 1859 as having a pottery and brickworks covering 24 acres for both brown and white clay manufacturing. It continued in use until 1920 and was then demolished. Traces of clay tanks and the remainder of a reservoir can still be seen behind Broadfield garage.
Timber Volume and Tree Number Survey